lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: What do I need to research to solve the problem of returning good results for a generic term?
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:52:17 GMT
Isn't it all relative to the user's interests, and you simply need to
incorporate that as clauses in the query or the boosting of the query?

Maybe you have clues to the user's interests based on web page or path to
the web page or their profile, or whatever, but the point is to simply
quantify or at least qualify their interests and boost documents
accordingly, independent of the actual search terms.

In other words, your documents need to have fields that correspond to
various interests.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: David Parks
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 4:40 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: What do I need to research to solve the problem of returning good
results for a generic term?

I'm sure this is a complex problem requiring many iterations of work, so I'm
just looking for pointers in the right direction of research here.

I have a base term, such as let's say "black dress" that I might search for.
Someone searching on this term is most logically looking for black dresses.
In my dataset I have black dresses, but I also have many CDs with the term
"black dress" in them (it's not so uncommon of a song title).

I would want the CDs to show up if I search for a more specific term like
"black dress CD", but I would want the black dresses to show up for the less
specific term "black dress".

Google image search is excellent at handling this example. A pretty vanilla
installation of Solr isn't yet great at it.

So. just looking for a nudge in the right direction here. What should I go
read up on first to start learning how to improve on these results?