lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andy D'Arcy Jewell <andy.jew...@sysmicro.co.uk>
Subject Re: Backing up SolR 4.0
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:47:21 GMT
On 03/12/12 16:39, Erick Erickson wrote:
> There's no real need to do what you ask.
>
> First thing is that you should always be prepared, in the worst-case
> scenario, to regenerate your entire index.
>
> That said, perhaps the easiest way to back up Solr is just to use
> master/slave replication. Consider having a machine that's a slave to the
> master (but not necessarily searched against) and periodically poll your
> master (say daily or whatever your interval is). You can configure Solr to
> keep N copies of the index as extra insurance. These will be fairly static
> so if you_really_  wanted to you could just copy the <solrhome>/data
> directory somewhere, but I don't know if that's necessary.
>
> See:http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
>
> Best
> Erick
Hi Erick,

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

However, wouldn't re-creating the index on a large dataset take an
inordinate amount of time? The system I will be backing up is likely to
undergo rapid development and thus schema changes, so I need some kind
of insurance against corruption if we need to roll-back after a change.

How should I go about creating multiplebackup versions I can put aside
(e.g. on tape) to hedge against the down-time which would be required to
regenerate the indexes from scratch?

Regards,
-Andy

--