lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andy D'Arcy Jewell <andy.jew...@sysmicro.co.uk>
Subject Pause and resume indexing on SolR 4 for backups
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:16:01 GMT
Hi all.

Can anyone advise me of a way to pause and resume SolR 4 so I can
perform a backup? I need to be able to revert to a usable (though not
necessarily complete) index after a crash or other "disaster" more
quickly than a re-index operation would yield.

I can't yet afford the "extravagance" of a separate SolR replica just
for backups, and I'm not sure if I'll ever have the luxury. I'm
currently running with just one node, be we are not yet live.

I can think of the following ways to do this, each with various downsides:

1) Just backup the existing index files whilst indexing continues
     + Easy
     + Fast
     - Incomplete
     - Potential for corruption? (e.g. partial files)

2) Stop/Start Tomcat
     + Easy
     - Very slow and I/O, CPU intensive
     - Client gets errors when trying to connect

3) Block/unblock SolR port with IpTables
     + Fast
     - Client gets errors when trying to connect
     - Have to wait for existing transactions to complete (not sure how,
maybe watch socket FD's in /proc)

4) Pause/Restart SolR service
     + Fast ? (hopefully)
     - Client gets errors when trying to connect

In any event, the web app will have to gracefully handle unavailability
of SolR, probably by displaying a "down for maintenance" message, but
this should preferably be only a very short amount of time.

Can anyone comment on my proposed solutions above, or provide any
additional ones?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

-Andy

--