lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SOLR4 cluster - strange CPU spike on slave
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 00:11:03 GMT

On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:25 AM, John Nielsen <jn@mcb.dk> wrote:

> The post about mmapdirectory is really interesting. We switched to using
> that from NRTCachingDirectory and am monitoring performance as well.
> Initially performance doesn't look stellar, but i suspect that we lack
> memory in the server to really make it shine.

NRTCachingDirectory delegates to another directory and simply caches small segments in RAM
- usually it delegates MMapDirectory by default. So likely you won't notice any changes, because
you have not likely really changed anything. NRTCachingDirectory simply helps in the NRT case
and doesn't really hurt that I've seen in the std case. It's more like a help dir than a replacement.

- Mark