lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Using lucene .net & Solr at the same time
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 20:59:36 GMT
On 1/1/2013 1:46 PM, dafna wrote:
> thanks shawn for your answer.
>
> I know that all of the analyzers, tokenizers, filters usally are on server
> side.
> That is exactly my question, if I will take them outside the engine, and do
> it outside, is it still work the same ?

Solr can use a lucene index if the lucene code and solr's config are
essentially identical, but it is generally VERY difficult to combine the
two without running into problems.  It is definitely not the recommended
approach.

Adding Solr support to an application is generally not very hard.  If
you're already using Lucene, you may find that it is an exercise in
removing large sections of code and replacing them with much smaller
Solr calls.  The whole thing becomes a lot easier if you have written a
middleware API rather than use Lucene calls directly in your app.

Thanks,
Shawn