lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Setting up new SolrCloud - need some guidance
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:06:00 GMT
On 1/9/2013 8:54 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> I'd put everything into one. You can upload different named sets of config files and
point collections either to the same sets or different sets.

> You can really think about it the same way you would setting up a single node with multiple
cores. The main difference is that it's easier to share sets of config files across collections
if you want to. You don't need to at all though.

> I'm not sure if xinclude works with zk, but I don't think it does.

Thank you for your assistance.  I'll work on recombining my
solrconfig.xml.  Are there any available full examples of how to set up
and start both zookeeper and Solr?  I'll be using the included Jetty 8.

Specific questions that have come to mind:

If I'm planning multiple collections with their own configs, do I still
need to bootstrap zookeeper when I start Solr, or should I start it up
with the zkHost parameter and then use the collection admin to upload
information?  I have not looked closely at the collection admin yet, I
just know that it exists.

I have heard that if a replica node is down long enough that transaction
logs are not enough to fully fix that node, SolrCloud will initiate a
full replication.  Is that the case?  If so, is it necessary to
configure the replication handler with a specific path for the name, or
does SolrCloud handle that itself?

Is there an option on updateLog that controls how many transactions are
kept, or is that managed automatically by SolrCloud?  I have read some
things that talk about 100 updates.  I expect updates on this to be
extremely frequent and small, so 100 updates isn't much, and I may want
to increase that.

Is it expected with future versions of Solr that I could upgrade one of
my nodes to 4.2 or 4.3 and have it work with the other node still at
4.1?  I would also hope that would mean that the last 4.x release would
work with 5.0.  That would make it possible to do rolling upgrades with
no downtime.

Thanks,
Shawn