lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shahar Davidson <shah...@checkpoint.com>
Subject RE: CoreAdmin STATUS performance
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:04:56 GMT
Hi Per,

Thanks for your reply!

That's a very interesting approach.

In your system, how are the collections created? In other words, are the collections created
dynamically upon an update (for example, per new day)?
If they are created dynamically, who handles their creation (client/server)  and how is it
done?

I'd love to hear more about it!

Appreciate your help,

Shahar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Per Steffensen [mailto:steff@designware.dk]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:23 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: CoreAdmin STATUS performance

On 1/10/13 10:09 AM, Shahar Davidson wrote:
> search request, the system must be aware of all available cores in
> order to execute distributed search on_all_  relevant cores
For this purpose I would definitely recommend that you go "SolrCloud".

Further more we do something "ekstra":
We have several collections each containing data from a specific period in time - timestamp
of ingoing data decides which collection it is indexed into. One important search-criteria
for our clients are search on timestamp-interval. Therefore most searches can be restricted
to only consider a subset of all our collections. Instead of having the logic calculating
the subset of collections to search (given the timestamp
search-interval) in clients, we just let clients do "dumb" searches by giving the timestamp-interval.
The subset of collections to search are calculated on server-side from the timestamp-interval
in the search-query. We handle this in a Solr SearchComponent which we place "early" in the
chain of SearchComponents. Maybe you can get some inspiration by this approach, if it is also
relevant for you.

Regards, Per Steffensen

Email secured by Check Point