lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Solr Case-sensitivity issue with search field name
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 00:51:37 GMT
Lower case is safer than upper case. For unicode, uppercasing is a lossy conversion. There
are sets of different lower case characters that convert to the same upper case character.
When you convert back to lower case, you don't know which one it was originally.

Always use lower case for text. That avoids some really subtle bugs.

wunder

On Feb 28, 2013, at 3:47 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:

> On 2/28/2013 3:40 PM, hyrax wrote:
>> I'm using Solr 4.0 and I recently notice an issue that bothers me a lot
>> which is that if you define a field in your schema named 'HOST' then in the
>> query you have to specify this field by 'HOST' while if you used 'host' it
>> would throw an 'undefined field' error.
>>
>> I have done some googling while I only found a jira ticket which says this
>> issue had been fixed:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-873
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-873>
>>
>> I know I can use <copyField> to accomplish this but I'm wonder if there a
>> way to apply this change all the field on the fly not one by one ...
>
> It appears that the issue you have linked is specific to the dataimport handler (importing
from a database or another structured data source), not searching.  I've always read that
fields in a Solr schema are case sensitive.

> My own recommendation is that you pick a standard, either all uppercase or all lowercase,
and that you stick with it.  I prefer all lowercase myself.