lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Email Search Slow
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:06:40 GMT
On 3/1/2013 11:49 AM, girish.gopal wrote:
> My Specs are:
> Windows Server 2008 64 bit Dual Quad Core CPUs with 64 GB of RAM.
> I have allocated 55GB of memory to Tomcat in its config.

In addition to the advice you've gotten about wildcards, your memory
allocation needs some tweaking.  It is highly unlikely that Solr needs
that much RAM.  Depending on the size of your index, I would expect that
between 4GB and 8GB would be appropriate.  I've got a system handling a
distributed index that's about 84GB and it's running on an 8GB heap with
no problems, and the heap could likely be made smaller.  Garbage
collection pauses can be a major problem even with a heap that's only
8GB, so you may also need some tuning options for your java commandline.

Lowering your java heap allocation will leave more memory for the OS to
use for caching your index, which is what is required for good
performance from Solr.

http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

Below are the tuning options I use with my 8GB heap, which have pretty
much eliminated the long GC pauses I was seeing.  None of these options
have any relation to a specific max heap size.  They probably can use
some additional tweaking, which I haven't found the time to do yet:

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts

Thanks,
Shawn