lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: DocValues and field requirements
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:07:27 GMT
On 3/21/2013 5:46 AM, Marcin Rzewucki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody explain why there are additional requirements for a field to
> be able to use DocValues ? For example: Trie*Fields have to be required or
> have default value.
>
> "Schema Parsing Failed: Field
> tlong{class=org.apache.solr.schema.TrieLongField,analyzer=org.apache.solr.analysis.TokenizerChain,args={precisionStep=8,
> sortMissingLast=true, positionIncrementGap=0}} has single-valued doc values
> enabled, but has no default value and is not required"
>
> I have a collection with more than 4K fields, mostly Trie*Fields, but they
> can either be required or have default value, which is not possible in my
> case. They are used for faceting and sorting. Docvalues would be great
> improvement for them. But I can't use it just because of this limitation.
> Why such limitations and are they going to be changed in next releases ?

I do not know the internals, but it would seem that the field must be
present in every doc for docValues to work.  If the field is not
required and doesn't have a default value, then it might not be present
in every doc.

This might be a requirement of the lower-level Lucene API, or it might
be a requirement that was instituted at the Solr level because a problem
was found when docs did not contain the field.  Google seems reluctant
to tell me, and I haven't figured out the right way to ask.

Thanks,
Shawn