lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Simpson <chrissimpson1...@outlook.com>
Subject Solr 4.1 Solr Cloud Shard Structure
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 00:10:35 GMT
Dear Lucene / Solr Community-

I recently posted this question on Stackoverflow, but it doesnt seem to be going too far.
Then I found this mailing list and was hoping perhaps to have more luck:

Question-

If I plan on holding 7TB of data in a Solr Cloud, is it bad practice to begin with 1 server
holding 100 shards and then begin populating the collection where once the size grew, each
shard ultimately will be peeled off into its own dedicated server (holding ~70GB ea with its
own dedicated resources and replicas)?

That is, I would start the collection with 100 shards locally, then as data grew, I could
peel off one shard at a time and give it its own server -- dedicated w/plenty of resources.

Is this okay to do -- or would I somehow incur a massive bottleneck internally by putting
that many shards in 1 server to start with while data was low?

Thank you.
Chris