lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solrCloud insert data steps
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 02:01:06 GMT
bq: I want to improve performance and want to become a committer if possible

Super! In the words of the great wise one (Yonik), you become a committer
by acting like a committer. There are lots of options:

1> pick some JIRAs that are interesting to you. Ping the dev list to see if
there's active interest in them. Provide patches. Essentially a really good
way is to pick an area of Solr in which you want to become an expert and
"own" that. By that I mean consider it your responsibility to help
maintain/enhance/fix that code, in cooperation with others. A great model
is what David Smiley has done with Lucene Spatial.

2> Document, document, document. There's lots of room for improvement in
both the Wiki and Javadocs. This is an awesome way to become familiar with
an area of the code, and a great help to others.

3> participate int he user's list, helping others out.

4> look at the test coverage on the nightly builds, it'll point out parts
of the code that don't have coverage yet. Build some unit tests to exercise
those bits of code and make patches.

5> There are lots of other ways....

be prepared to dig in deeply to some code written by some very good
programmers. You _will not_ be able to understand the entire code-base at
once, trust me on that <G>...

Best
Erick