lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Custom filter for document permissions
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 01:10:05 GMT

: Actually, after thinking for a bit, it makes sense to apply the post
: filter everywhere, otherwise I wouldn't be able to know the number of
: results overall (something I unfortunately really need).

Not to mention things like facet counts, which need access to the full set
of matching documents.

Situations like this are why using a high "cost" value are really
important on "expensive" filters -- you want to ensure that all of the
"cheap" filtering that can be done on your request, is done before your
PostFilter ever gets executed, to minimize the amount of external logic
you have to apply.

In a synthetic test like this, matching all documents w/o any other
filtering, that "cost" is irrelevant, but it's important to remember when
you start creating your real world requests.

-Hoss