lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Swati Swoboda <sswob...@igloosoftware.com>
Subject RE: How does solr 4.2 do in returning large datasets ?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:26:51 GMT
It really depends on what you are returning (how big is each document? Just a document ID?
Pages and pages of data in fields?).

It can take a long time for Solr to render an XML with 60,000 results. Solr will be serializing
the data and then you'd (presumably) be de-serializing it. Depending on how big each field
actually is, this could take a while or even cause DOS on your server.

Your client would also need a fair bit of memory to parse a document with 60,000 results....

-----Original Message-----
From: Liz Sommers [mailto:lizsworks@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 9:39 AM
To: solr-user
Subject: How does solr 4.2 do in returning large datasets ?

I thought I remembered reading that Solr is not good for returning large datasets.  We are
currently using lucene 3.6.0 and returning datasets of
10,000 to 60,000 results.  In the future we might need to return even larger datasets.

Would you all recommend going to Solr for this, or should we stick with Lucene (which has
given us no problems in this regard)?  I am a bit wary of using a web service to return datasets
of this size.

Thanks a lot
Liz
lizsworks@gmail.com