lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Adding pdf/word file using JSON/XML
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:18:09 GMT
I'm sorry if I came across as aggressive or insulting - I'm only trying to
dig down to what your actual difficulty is - and you have been making that
extremely difficult for all of us. You need to help us all out here by more
clearly expressing what your actual problem is. You will have to excuse the
rest of us if we are unable to read your mind!

It sounds as if you are an intermediary between your devs and this list.
That's NOT a very effective communications strategy! You need to either have
your devs communicate directly on this list, or you need to do a much better
job of understanding what their actual problem is and then communicate that
actual problem to this list, plainly and clearly.

TRYING to read your mind (and indirectly your devs' minds as well - not an
easy task!), and reading between the lines, it is starting to sound as if
you (or/and your devs) are not clear on how Solr works as a "database".

Core Solr does have full CRUD (Add or Create, Read or Query, Update, and
Delete), although not in a strict, pure REST sense, that is true.

A "full" update in Solr is the same as an Add - add a new, fresh document,
and then delete the old document. Some people call this an "Upsert"
(combination of Update or Insert).

There are really two forms of update (a difficulty in REST): 1) full update
or "replace" - equal to a delete and an add, and 2) partial or incremental
update. True REST only has the latter

Core Solr does have support for partial or incremental Update with Atomic
Updates. Solr will in fact retain the existing data and only update any new
field values that are supplied on the update request.

SolrCell (Extracting RequestHandler or "/update/extract") is not a core part
of Solr. It is an add on "contrib" module. It does not have full CRUD - no
delete, and no partial update, but it does support add and full update.

As someone else already suggested, you can do the work of SolrCell yourself
by calling Tika directly in your app layer and then sending normal Solr CRUD
requests.

-- Jack Krupansky