lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Sorting by field is slow
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:33:24 GMT
Rerun the sorted query with &debugQuery=true and look at the module timings.
See what stands out

Are you actually sorting on a "text" field, as opposed to a "string" field?

Of course, it's always possible that maybe you're hitting some odd OOM/GC
condition as a result of Solr growing  between releases.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Perry
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:00 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Sorting by field is slow

In upgrading from Solr 3.6.1 to 4.3.0, our query response time has
increased exponentially.  After testing in 4.3.0 it appears the same query
(with 1 matching document) returns after 100 ms without sorting but takes 1
minute when sorting by a text field.  I've looked around but haven't yet
found a reason for the degradation.  Can someone give me some insight or
point me in the right direction for resolving this?  In most cases, I can
change my code to do client-side sorting but I do have a couple of
situations where pagination prevents client-side sorting.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane