lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From PeriS <pvsub...@indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Field Names
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:14:00 GMT
So what I m trying to do is index MARC21 fields which have a schema defined at http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/.
Now the reason I wanted to use dynamic fields is so that once they are defined I don't have
to touch the schema.xml and control indexed fields configuration from outside i.e.  a particular
user may want to index only certain marc fields as opposed to another user. This will also
enable for quick on the fly adjustments rather than having to restart the solr server every
time the schema.xml changes (unless that is not needed).

Since the users and the application is aware of the schema, they know how to query the fields
or what to query for. Does that make sense?

On Jun 10, 2013, at 10:48 PM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> wrote:

> One idea: DON'T DO IT!!!!!
>
> Seriously, if you find yourself trying to "play games" with field names, it says that
you probably have a data model that is grossly out of line with the strengths (and weaknesses)
of Solr.

> Dynamic fields are fine - when used in moderation, but not when pushed to extremes.
>
> What are you really trying to model and why does it seem to depend on dynamic fields?
>
> In particular, how would users and the application query those dynamic fields?
>
> -- Jack Krupansky
>
> -----Original Message----- From: PeriS
> Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 9:54 PM
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Field Names
>

> I was wondering if there was a way to define field names that are more less dynamic in
nature but follow a regular expression pattern. I know you can have asterisk either as a prefix
or a suffix but not both or somewhere int he middle of a name.

> Goal: to define a field that takes up the form like 10*_* which would translate to 100_whatever
thru 109_whatever; Any ideas please?