lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From AJ Weber <awe...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: The book: Solr 4.x Deep Dive - Early Access Release #1
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:32:40 GMT

On 6/21/2013 9:22 AM, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:

> I might be however confused regarding your strategy. I thought you
> were going to do several different volumes, rather than one large one.
> Or is this all a 'first' volume discussion so far.
>
> Pricing: $7.99 feels better for the book this size. Under $5 it feels
> like it may be mostly filler (even if it is not). I don't think
> anybody will pay every month just because it got updated.
I agree that I'm a little confused as to the pricing.  Are you saying
you'll keep updating it and everyone would just d/l the latest version
monthly?  If so, what's to stop someone from waiting to "subscribe"
until it is entirely complete and just pay the $8 once for the whole
thing -- versus those of us (me included) who would be sending our $8
every month and therefore receiving the same work at 10x the price (for
example)?

I'm with one of the previous responses:  I'd be willing to pay $30 for
early-access (and updates) to an eBook as a one-time-cost and then when
you release the final, set it at $40 or more.