lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting up Solr
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:21:10 GMT
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Aaron Greenspan
<aarong@thinkcomputer.com> wrote:
> I say this not because I enjoy starting flame wars or because I have the time to participate
in them--I don't. I realize that there's a long history to Solr and I am the new kid who doesn't
get it. Nonetheless, that doesn't change the way it works, and many users will be just like
me. So just know that I'd just like to see Solr improve--frankly, I need it to--and if these
issues were not already glaringly obvious, they should be now.

This!

Seriously, I think this feedback is valuable and I have recently gone
through a similar experience. This is why I have written a book
specifically targeting people who basically got their first (example)
collection running and are now stuck on how to get the second (first
'real one') do what they want. The book is available for pre-orders
at: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-for-indexing-data/book (out in
a couple more days) and a bunch of sample configurations that go with
it are at: https://github.com/arafalov/solr-indexing-book

On specific points, I do agree that we need to make Admin WebUI to
have the first/only core pre-selected. If nobody has created a JIRA
for this yet, I will. And, I think, perhaps we need absolutely minimal
solr configuration shipping in Solr distribution. With a single '*'
field and so on.

Regards,
   Alex.

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)