lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: "Classic" 4.2 master-slave replication not completing
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 20:04:03 GMT
On 7/1/2013 1:07 PM, Neal Ensor wrote:
> is it conceivable that there's too much traffic, causing Solr to stall
> re-opening the searcher (thus releasing to the new index)?  I'm grasping at
> straws, and this is beginning to bug me a lot.  The traffic logs wouldn't
> seem to support this (apart from periodic health-check pings, the load is
> distributed fairly evenly across 3 slaves by a load-balancer tool).  After
> 35+ minutes this morning, none of the three successfully "unstuck", and had
> to be manually core-reloaded.
>
> Is there perhaps a configuration element I'm overlooking that might make
> solr a bit less "friendly" about it, and just dump the searchers/reopen
> when replication completes?

Can you share your solrconfig.xml file, someplace like
http://apaste.info?  Please be sure to choose the correct file type ...
on that website it is (X)HTML for an XML file.

> As a side note, I'm getting really frustrated with trying to get log4j
> logging on 4.3.1 set up; my tomcat container persists in complaining that
> it cannot find log4j.properties, when I've put it in the WEB-INF/classes of
> the war file, have SLF4j libraries AND log4j at the shared container "lib"
> level, and log4j.debug turned on.  I can't find any excuses why it cannot
> seem to locate the configuration.

The wiki is still down for maintenance, so below is a relevant section
of the SolrLogging wiki page extracted from Google Cache.  When it comes
back up, you can find it at this URL:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Switching_from_Log4J_back_to_JUL_.28java.util.logging.29

=====
The example logging setup takes over the configuration of Solr logging,
which prevents the container from controlling where logs go. Users of
containers other than the included Jetty (Tomcat in particular) may be
accustomed to doing the logging configuration in the container. If you
want to switch back to java.util.logging so this is once again possible,
here's what to do. These steps apply to the example/lib/ext directory in
the Solr example, or to your container's lib directory as mentioned in
the previous section. These steps also assume that the slf4j version is
1.6.6, which comes with Solr4.3. Newer versions may use a different
slf4j version. As of May 2013, you can use a newer SLF4J version with no
trouble, but be aware that all slf4j components in your classpath must
be the same version.

     Download slf4j version 1.6.6 (the version used in Solr4.3.x).
http://www.slf4j.org/dist/slf4j-1.6.6.zip
     Unpack the slf4j archive.
     Delete these JARs from your lib folder: slf4j-log4j12-1.6.6.jar,
jul-to-slf4j-1.6.6.jar, log4j-1.2.16.jar
     Add these JARs to your lib folder (from slf4j zip):
slf4j-jdk14-1.6.6.jar, log4j-over-slf4j-1.6.6.jar
     Use your old logging.properties
=====

Thanks,
Shawn