lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: new field type - enum field
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 01:39:44 GMT

: Doable at Lucene level by any chance?

Given how well the Trie fields compress (ByteField and ShortField have
been deprecated in favor of TrieIntField for this reason) it probably
just makes sense to treat it as a numeric at the Lucene level.

: > If there's positive feedback, I'll open an issue with a patch for the functionality.

I've typically dealt with this sort of thing at the client layer using a
simple numeric field in Solr, or used an UpdateProcessor to convert the
String->numeric mapping when indexing & used clinet logic of a
DocTransformer to handle the stored value at query time -- but having a
built in FieldType that handles that for you automatically (and helps
ensure the indexed values conform to the enum) would certainly be cool if
you'd like to contribute it.

-Hoss