lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From maephisto <my_sky...@yahoo.com>
Subject SolrCloud Nodes infrastucture
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:15:00 GMT
Hi!

I have some foggy stuff on my goggles when i'm looking at SolrCloud, maybe
somebody can help me clear that out!

Let's assume I have a collection that's split in 3 shards. That means i
already have 3 nodes.
Then I also want some replication - replication factor = 2. That's 3 more
nodes.
Zookeeeper it's a must so I'll give it 3 independent machines.

Now, my question is how many machines would I need for that 6 nodes?
Is it possible to use just 3 machines, each with two Solr instances? Will ZK
then know not to assign the shard replica on the same machine as the shard
leader ?
Even more, is it possible to use just 3 big mean machines, each with a ZK
instance and 2 Solr instances ? Would I be sacrificing performance?

Thanks!