lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: how to manually update a field in the index without re-crawling?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:17:38 GMT
On 10/1/2013 9:03 AM, eShard wrote:
> I'm currently using Solr 4.0 FINAL.
> I indexed a website and it took over 24 hours to crawl.
> I just realized I need to rename one of the fields (or add a new one).
> so I added the new field to the schema,
> But how do I copy the data over from the old field to the new field without
> recrawling everything?
>
> Is this possible?
>
> I was thinking about maybe putting an update chain processor in the /update
> handler but I'm not sure that will work.

If you meet all the caveats and limitations, then you can use the atomic
update functionality to add the new field and delete the old field.  For
each document, you'll need the value of the uniqueKey and the value of
the field that you want to essentially rename.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Atomic_Updates

If you have not configured your fields in the way described by the
"caveats and limitations" section of that wiki page, then you will have
to reindex.  There is no way around that requirement.

Final comment, unrelated to your question: 4.0 is ancient and buggy.
You're going to need to upgrade before too long.

Thanks,
Shawn