lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Solr Lucene for query
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:42:35 GMT
On 10/1/2013 2:35 PM, Isaac Hebsh wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I'm trying to examine your suggestion to create a frontend node. It sounds
> pretty usefull.
> I saw that every node in solr cluster can serve request for any collection,
> even if it does not hold a core of that collection. because of that, I
> thought that adding a new node to the cluster (aka, the frontend/gateway
> server), and creating a dummy collection (with 1 dummy core), will solve
> the problem.
>
> But, I see that a request which sent to the gateway node, is not then sent
> to the shards. Instead, the request is proxyed to a (random) core of the
> requested collection, and from there it is sent to the shards. (It is
> reasonable, because the SolrCore on the gateway might run with different
> configuration, etc). This means that my new node isn't functioning as a
> frontend (which responsible for sorting, etc.), but as a poor load
> balancer. No performance improvement will come from this implementation.
>
> So, how do you suggest to implement a frontend? On the one hand, it has to
> run a core of the target collection, but on the other hand, we don't want
> it to hold any shard contents.

With SolrCloud, every node is a frontend node.  If you're running
SolrCloud, then it doesn't make sense to try and use that concept.

It only makes sense to create a frontend node (or core) if you are using
traditional distributed search, where you need to include a shards
parameter.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch

Thanks,
Shawn