lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Solr Lucene for query
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:22:43 GMT
On 10/1/2013 4:04 PM, Isaac Hebsh wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
> I know that every node operates as a frontend. This is the way our cluster
> currently run.
>
> If I seperate the frontend from the nodes which hold the shards, I can let
> him different amount of CPUs as RAM. (e.g. large amount of RAM to JVM,
> because this server won't need the OS cache for reading the index, or more
> CPUs because the merging process might be more CPU intensive).
>
> Isn't it possible?

Not with SolrCloud.  If you manage all your shards and replicas yourself
and use "manual" distributed search, then you can do what you're trying
to do.  You lose a *LOT* of automation that SolrCloud handles for you if
you follow this route, though.

I can't find an existing feature request issue for doing this with
SolrCloud.  It's a good idea, just not possible currently.

Thanks,
Shawn