lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SolrCloud Nodes infrastucture
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 15:21:39 GMT
On 10/2/2013 4:15 AM, maephisto wrote:
> Even more, is it possible to use just 3 big mean machines, each with a ZK
> instance and 2 Solr instances ? Would I be sacrificing performance?

To supplement the replies you've already gotten:  Don't run more that
one Solr instance per machine.  One Solr instance is perfectly capable
of handling many collections and shard replicas.  The maxShardsPerNode
parameter you've been given controls how many shards can live on one
Solr instance, a node does not necessarily refer to a machine.

Unless you are very very careful, understand things on a very deep
level, and do many things manually that can normally be automated,
running more than one instance per machine just causes administrative
headaches and unexpected behavior.  Don't do it, unless what you want to
do is run more than one independent SolrCloud on one set of hardware and
zookeeper ensemble.

Thanks,
Shawn