lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: How to warm up filter queries for a category field with 1000 possible values ?
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 00:47:59 GMT
On 10/7/2013 12:36 AM, user 01 wrote:
> what's the way to warm up filter queries for a category field with 1000
> possible values. Would I need to write 1000 lines manually in the
> solrconig.xml or what is the format?

Erick has given you awesome advice.  Here's something a little bit
different that doesn't invalidate his advice:

If you have enough free RAM (not used by programs) for good OS disk
caching, then as soon as you do one query that checks this field, then
all 1000 values for that field are likely to be in RAM, and the next
query against that field is going to be lightning fast, because the
operating system will not have to read the disk to get the information.
Although it is slightly faster to get informatin out of Solr's caches
than the OS disk cache, the operating system is far better at managing
huge caches than Solr and Java are.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#General_information

Thanks,
Shawn