lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SolrJ best pratices
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 00:58:43 GMT
On 10/7/2013 3:08 PM, Mark wrote:
> Some specific questions:
> - When working with HttpSolrServer should we keep around instances for ever or should
we create a singleton that can/should be used over and over?
> - Is there a way to change the collection after creating the server or do we need to
create a new server for each collection?

If at all possible, you should create your server object and use it for
the life of your application.  SolrJ is threadsafe.  If there is any
part of it that's not, the javadocs should say so - the SolrServer
implementations definitely are.

By using the word "collection" you are implying that you are using
SolrCloud ... but earlier you said HttpSolrServer, which implies that
you are NOT using SolrCloud.

With HttpSolrServer, your base URL includes the core or collection name
- "http://server:port/solr/corename" for example.  Generally you will
need one object for each core/collection, and another object for
server-level things like CoreAdmin.

With SolrCloud, you should be using CloudSolrServer instead, another
implementation of SolrServer that is constantly aware of the SolrCloud
clusterstate.  With that object, you can use setDefaultCollection, and
you can also add a "collection" parameter to each SolrQuery or other
request object.

Thanks,
Shawn