lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "M. Flatterie" <nicflatte...@yahoo.com>
Subject SolrCloud query results order master vs replica
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 14:57:44 GMT
Greetings,

My setup is:
- SolrCloud V4.3
- On collection
- one shard
- 1 master, 1 replica

so each instance contains the entire index.  The index is rather small and the replica is
used for robustness.  There is no need (IMHO) to split shard the index (yet, until the index
gets bigger).

My question:
- if I do a query on a product name (that is what the index is about) on the master I get
a certain number of results and the documents.
- if I do the same query on the replica, I get the same number of results but the docs are
in a different order.
- I do not specify a sort parameter in my query, simply a q=<product name>.
- obviously if I force a sort order, everything is ok, same results, same order from both
instances.
- am I wrong in expecting the same results, in the SAME order?

Follow up question if the order is not guaranteed:
- should I force the dev. to use an explicit sort order?
- if we force the sort, we then bypass the ranking / score order do we not?
- should I force all queries to go to the master and fall back on the replica only in the
context of a total loss of the master?

Other useful information:
  - the admin page shows same number of documents in both instances.
  - logs are clean, load and replication and queries worked ok.
  - the web application that queries SOLR round robins between the two instances, so getting
results in a different order is bad for consistency.

Thank you for your help!

Nic