lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: JVM heap constraints and garbage collection
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 18:51:16 GMT
Michael Della Bitta [michael.della.bitta@appinions.com] wrote:
> Here at Appinions, we use mostly m2.2xlarges, but the new i2.xlarges look
> pretty tasty primarily because of the SSD, and I'll probably push for a
> switch to those when our reservations run out.

> http://www.ec2instances.info/

i2.xlarge looks vastly better than m2.2xlarge at about the same price, so I must be missing
something: Is it the 120 IPs that explains why anyone would choose m2.2xlarge?

Anyhow, it is good to see that Amazon now has 11 different setups with SSD. The IOPS looks
solid at around 40K/s (estimated) for the i2.xlarge and they even have TRIM ( http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2013/12/19/announcing-the-next-generation-of-amazon-ec2-high-i/o-instance/
).

- Toke Eskildsen