lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Della Bitta <michael.della.bi...@appinions.com>
Subject Re: Storing tweets For WC2014
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 17:13:58 GMT
Some of the data providers for Twitter offer a search API. Depending on
what you're doing, you might not even need to host this yourself.

My company does do search and analytics over tweets, but by the time we end
up indexing them, we've winnowed down the initial set to 10% of what we've
initially ingested, which itself is a fraction of the total set of tweets
as our data provider has let us filter for the ones that have the keywords
we want.

Our news index approaches the size of what you're talking about within an
order of magnitude (where 'news' is really an index of sentences taken from
news reports, along with metadata about the document the news came from).
Overall, we're hosting about 310 million records (give or take depending
where in the sharding cycle we're on) in a cluster of 5 AWS i2.xlarge boxes.

This setup indexes from our feeds in real time, which means there's no mass
days of data, so if you're looking to do a mess of reporting against your
full set, take that into consideration.

Michael Della Bitta

Applications Developer

o: +1 646 532 3062