lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Steve McKay <st...@b.abbies.us>
Subject Re: Indexing non-stored fields
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 00:54:14 GMT
Stored doesn't mean "stored to disk", more like "stored verbatim". When you index a field,
Solr analyzes the field value and makes it part of the index. The index is persisted to disk
when you commit, which is why it sticks around after a restart. Searching the index, mapping
from search terms to doc ids, is very fast. However, the index is very very bad at going in
reverse, from doc ids to terms. That's where stored fields come in. When you store a field,
Solr takes the field value and stores the entire value separate from the index. This makes
it trivial to get the value for a particular doc id, but it's terrible for searching.

So the stored attribute and the indexed attribute have different purposes. Indexed means you
want to be able to search on the value, and stored means you want to be able to see the value
in search results.