lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2014 03:44:40 GMT
Elasticsearch and Solr are both based on Lucene, so a sizeable fraction of
performance will be similar if not identical.

IOW, they are both using the same "search engine" under the hood.

Sure, the right "tires", "transmission", and "body" can make a big
difference in performance as well, but the engine is the point to focus on.

Back when ES first came out, Solr was not so easily scalable and ES was
"cool" because it had a cleaner JSON-based REST API.

But now, Solr has SolrCloud and supports JSON for both input documents and
query results, so... the differences are a lot more muted.

I would say that ES does still have a cleaner REST API, but I'm not sure how
much that really matters for most use cases. Clearly it matters to some
people, but I suspect a lot of people are gravitating to ES solely because
they hear people say "You've got to check out Elasticsearch!" rather than
for some clear and obvious benefit in terms of features, performance, and
scalability.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Salman Akram
Sent: Friday, August 1, 2014 1:35 AM
To: Solr Group
Subject: Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

I did see that earlier. My main concern is search
performance/scalability/throughput which unfortunately that article didn't
address. Any benchmarks or comments about that?

We are already using SOLR but there has been a push to check elasticsearch.
All the benchmarks I have seen are at least few years old.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com