lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: Filter cache pollution during sharded edismax queries
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 17:51:11 GMT
From: Charlie Hull [charlie@flax.co.uk]:
> We've just found a very similar issue at a client installation. They have
> around 27 million documents and are faceting on fields with high
> cardinality, and are unhappy with query performance and the server hardware
> necessary to make this performance acceptable.

I have done some testing on distributed non-pivot faceting and found that the fine-counting
of the top-X terms can be very expensive for some queries. It seems that for fc-faceting with
Strings it is markedly faster (and non-filter-cache-blowing) to do a standard faceting call
and extract the relevant term counts for fine-counting instead of processing the requested
terms one at a time. It seems that the same principle might apply to pivot faceting.

There's a write-up with graphs at
http://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/ten-times-faster/

- Toke Eskildsen