lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bob Laferriere <spongeb...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: Boosting Top selling items
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:44:15 GMT
Thanks Ravi. Do you tag the product as TOP as a binary flag? My marketing team wants to use
the number of orders but that screws up the relevance horribly. My thought is to tag a product
with a product attribute (as you suggest) and tag it as TOP selling. Then I have pure relevance,
but can give a small boost to TOP products.

Do you determine when they are searching for a product? Otherwise, if I search for a part
and you boost products that would be frustrating to a user.

Thanks for the discussion.

-Bob

On Oct 3, 2014, at 9:38 AM, EXTERNAL Taminidi Ravi (ETI, Automotive-Service-Solutions) <external.Ravi.Taminidi@us.bosch.com>
wrote:

> Hi Bob,  I tried using a product type attribute which separates the products/parts and
boost the product in TOP with OR condition for productype as parts. This way you get all the
products /parts related to your search and always keeping the Products in the Top and Parts
next to Products. This is a kind of playing with the query so your relevance won't break.

> Regards
>
> Ravi

those in the results. The struggle I am having is that our catalog stores products and parts
in the same taxonomy. Since parts are ordered more frequently when you search for something
like TV you see cables and antennas first. My theory is that someone needs to tag products
as Top Selling as a facet then use faceted search to avoid an artificial boost which screws
up document relevance. Anyone fight with anything similar? Interested in discussing with other
eCommerce search developers.