lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Solr + Federated Search Question
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:47:06 GMT
Alejandro, you'll have to clarify how you are using the term "federated
search". I mean, technically Ahmet is correct in that Solr queries can be
fanned out to shards and the results from each shard aggregated
("federated") into a single result list, but... more traditionally,
"federated" refers to "disparate" databases or search engines.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_search

So, please tell us a little more about what you are really trying to do.

I mean, is all of your data in Solr, in multiple collections, or on multiple
Solr servers, or... is only some of your data in Solr and some is in other
search engines?

Another approach taken with Solr is that indeed all of your source data may
be in "disparate databases", but you perform an ETL (Extract, Transform, and
Load) process to ingest all of that data into Solr and then simply directly
search the data within Solr.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmet Arslan
Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:35 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr + Federated Search Question

Hi,

Federation is possible. Solr has distributed search support with shards
parameter.

Ahmet

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:29 PM, Alejandro Calbazana
<acalbazana@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have a general question about Solr in a federated search context.  I
understand that Solr does not do federated search and that  different tools
are often used to incorporate Solr indexes into a federated/enterprise
search solution.  Does anyone have recommendations on any products (open
source or otherwise) that addresses this space?

Thanks,

Alejandro