lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sachin Kale <sachinpk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Master-Slave setup using SolrCloud
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:01:04 GMT
Apparently, there is a bug in Solr 4.10.0 which was causing the
NullPointerExceptions. SOLR-6501
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6501>
We have updated our production SOLR to 4.10.1


On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Sachin Kale <sachinpkale@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I look into the logs, many times I get only following line without any
> stacktrace:
>
> *ERROR - 2014-10-02 19:35:25.516; org.apache.solr.common.SolrException;
> java.lang.NullPointerException*
>
> These exceptions are not coming continuously. Once in every 10-15 minutes.
> But once it starts, there are continuous 800-1000 such exceptions one after
> another. Is it related to cache warmup?
>
> I can provide following information regarding the setup:
> We are now on using Solr 4.10.0
> Memory allocated to each SOLR instance is 7GB. I guess it is more than
> sufficient for 1 GB index, right?
> Indexes are stored as normal, local filesystem.
> I am using three caches:
>     Query Cache: Size 4096, autoWarmCount 2048
>     Filter cache: size 8192, autoWarmCount 4096
>     Document cache: size 4096
>
> I am experimenting with commitMaxTime for both soft and hard commits
>
> After referring following:
>
> http://lucidworks.com/blog/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/
>
> Hence, I set following:
>
> <autoCommit>
> <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxTime:60000}</maxTime>
> <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
> </autoCommit>
>
> <autoSoftCommit>
> <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:900000}</maxTime>
> </autoSoftCommit>
>
> Also, we are getting following warnings many times:
>
> *java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "5193.0"*
>
> Earlier we were on SOLR 4.4.0 and when we are upgraded to 4.10.0, we
> pointed it to the same index we were using for 4.4.0
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/2014 6:58 AM, Sachin Kale wrote:
>> > We are trying to move our traditional master-slave Solr configuration to
>> > SolrCloud. As our index size is very small (around 1 GB), we are having
>> > only one shard.
>> > So basically, we are having same master-slave configuration with one
>> leader
>> > and 6 replicas.
>> > We are experimenting with maxTime of both AutoCommit and AutoSoftCommit.
>> > Currently, autoCommit maxTime is 15 minutes and autoSoftCommit is 1
>> minute
>> > (Let me know if these values does not make sense).
>> >
>> > Caches are set such that warmup time is at most 20 seconds.
>> >
>> > We are having continuous indexing requests mostly for updating the
>> existing
>> > documents. Few requests are for deleting/adding the documents.
>> >
>> > The problem we are facing is that we are getting very frequent
>> > NullPointerExceptions.
>> > We get continuous 200-300 such exceptions within a period of 30 seconds
>> and
>> > for next few minutes, it works fine.
>> >
>> > Stacktrace of NullPointerException:
>> >
>> > *ERROR - 2014-10-02 18:09:38.464; org.apache.solr.common.SolrException;
>> > null:java.lang.NullPointerException*
>> > *        at
>> >
>> org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.returnFields(QueryComponent.java:1257)*
>> > *        at
>> >
>> org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.handleRegularResponses(QueryComponent.java:720)*
>> > *        at
>> >
>> org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.handleResponses(QueryComponent.java:695)*
>> >
>> > ‚Äč
>> > I am not sure what would be causing it. My guess, whenever, it is
>> trying to
>> > replay tlog, we are getting these exceptions. Is anything wrong in my
>> > configuration?
>>
>> Your automatic commit settings are fine.  If you had tried to use a very
>> small maxTime like 1000 (1 second), I would tell you that it's probably
>> too short.
>>
>> The tlogs only get replayed when a core is first started or reloaded.
>> These appear to be errors during queries, having nothing at all to do
>> with indexing.
>>
>> I can't be sure with the available information (no Solr version,
>> incomplete stacktrace, no info about what request caused and received
>> the error), but if I had to guess, I'd say you probably changed your
>> schema so that certain fields are now required that weren't required
>> before, and didn't reindex, so those fields are not present on every
>> document.  Or it might be that you added a uniqueKey and didn't reindex,
>> and that field is not present on every document.
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn
>>
>>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message