lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Sandeep Tikoo <sti...@digitalriver.com>
Subject RE: SolrCould read-only replicas
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 14:07:12 GMT

cluster?

Thanks!
Tikoo

From: Sandeep Tikoo
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:43 PM
To: 'solr-user@lucene.apache.org'
Subject: SolrCould read-only replicas

Hi-

I have been reading up on SolrCloud and it seems that it is not possible to have a cross-datacenter
read-only slave anymore but wanted to ask here to be sure.
We currently have a pre Solr 4.0 installation with the master instance in our US mid-west
datacenter. The datacenter in Europe has read-replicas which pull data using solr.ReplicationHandler.
We wanted to upgrade to SolrCloud. As far as I have been able to figure out, with SolrCloud
you cannot have a read-only replica anymore. A replica has to be able to become a leader and
writes against all replicas for a shard have to succeed. Because of the a strong consistency
model across replicas, it seems that replicas cannot be across datacenters anymore.

So my question is, how can we have a read-ony replica in a remote datacenter in Solr 4.0+
similar to pre Solr 4.0? Is it not possible anymore without doing it all yourself?

cheers,
Tikoo