lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: How large is your solr index?
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:43:07 GMT
Shawn Heisey [apache@elyograg.org] wrote:
> I believe it would be useful to organize a session at Lucene Revolution,
> possibly more interactive than a straight presentation, where users with
> very large indexes are encouraged to attend.  The point of this session
> would be to exchange war stories, configuration requirements, hardware
> requirements, and observations.

>From the perspective of the conference it might tie up a lot of time: If we were to get
down to the configuration level, one session would not be enough. Some sort of pre-conference
bar camp might do it? Or maybe even a whole pre-conference day?

(side-note to the side-note: Living in Europe, going to Lucene/Solr Revolution means spending
more time on travel than the actual conference - extending the activities to 3 days would
increase the odds of me going next year)

> Better documentation for extreme scaling is also a possible outcome.

I did at some point try to write a long blog entry on Solr hardware and setup for non-small
corpuses, but have to give up: There were just too many "but if you need to scale X, you might
be better off by choosing Y, unless your usage is Z". I think multiple detailed descriptions
of setups is a great starting point. If we get enough of them, some pattern will hopefully
emerge, although I am afraid that the pattern will be "to get this to work, we had to write
custom code".

> Another idea, not sure if it would be good as an alternate idea or
> supplemental, is a less formal gathering, perhaps over a meal or three.

Outside of Lucene/Solr Revolution? How would that work geographically?

- Toke Eskildsen