lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Della Bitta <michael.della.bi...@appinions.com>
Subject Re: Question on Solr Caching
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:24:51 GMT
Hi, Manohar,

> 1. Does posting-list and term-list of the index reside in the memory? If
not, how to load this to memory. I don't want to load entire data, like
using DocumentCache. Either I want to use RAMDirectoryFactory as the data
will be lost if you restart

If you use MMapDirectory, Lucene will map the files into memory off heap
and the OS's disk cache will cache the files in memory for you. Don't
use RAMDirectory, it's not better than MMapDirectory for any use I'm
aware of.

 > 2. For FilterCache, there is a way to specify whether the filter
should be cached or not in the query.

If you add {!cache=false}  to your filter query, it will bypass the
cache. I'm fairly certain it will not subsequently be cached.

 > Similarly, Is there a way where I can specify the list of stored
fields to be loaded to Document Cache?

If you have lazy loading enabled, the DocumentCache will only have the
fields you asked for in it.

 > 3. Similarly, Is there a way I can specify list of fields to be
cached for FieldCache? Thanks, Manohar

You basically don't have much control over the FieldCache in Solr other
than warming it with queries.

You should check out this wiki page, it will probably answer some questions:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCaching

I hope that helps!

Michael