lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Graeme Pietersz <gra...@pietersz.net>
Subject Solr fails to start with log file not found error
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
I get this error when starting Solr using the script in bin/solr

tail cannot open `[path]/logs/solr.log’ for reading: No such file or directory

It does not happen every time, but it does happen a lot. It sometimes clears up after a while.

I have tried creating an empty file, but solr then just says:

Backing up [path]/logs/solr.log

And repeats the same error.

I am guessing the problem is that it cannot get the error from the log file because the log
file has not been created yet, but then how do I debug this?

Running  Solr 4.10.2 on Debian 7 using Jetty with the default IcedTea 2.5.3 java version 1.7.0_65

Thanks for any help or pointers.