lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Clemens Wyss DEV <clemens...@mysign.ch>
Subject AW: AW: CoreContainer#createAndLoad, existing cores not loaded
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:29:14 GMT
No <cores>-element in my solr.xml

My folder structure looks alike:
[solr]
-solr.xml
-[configsets]
-[cores]
--[de]
---[data]
--[fr]
--[it]

So you say, if I copy an empty core.proerties file into the [cores] folder it should work?
Even with 4.10.3?

Thanks also for all your warnings going the "bleeding edge"-way!

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apache@elyograg.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015 18:10
An: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: CoreContainer#createAndLoad, existing cores not loaded

On 1/29/2015 12:13 AM, Clemens Wyss DEV wrote:
> BTW:
> None of my core folders contains a core.properties file ... ? Could it be due to the
fact that I am (so far) running only EmbeddedSolrServer, hence no real Solr-Server?

I'm not sure how it's working without core.properties files, unless your solr.xml file has
a <cores> element and the cores are defined there.
The old-style solr.xml file works in 4.10.3.

The minimum config you need in a core.properties file is nothing at all
-- it just needs to exist.  The name of the core defaults to the name of the directory where
it is found, and the dataDir defaults to "data"
relative to the directory where the core.properties was found.  I myself only have "name"
and "dataDir" defined in my core.properties files, because I need both to be different from
the default.

[root@bigindy5 cores]# cat s0_0/core.properties #Written by CorePropertiesLocator #Mon Jan
26 23:38:42 MST 2015 name=s0build
dataDir=../../data/s0_0

[root@bigindy5 cores]# cat s0_1/core.properties #Written by CorePropertiesLocator #Mon Jan
26 23:38:42 MST 2015 name=s0live
dataDir=../../data/s0_1

To answer your other question about whether you should go with 5.0 ...
that depends on how close you are to your production deployment and how willing you are to
deal with bleeding edge software.  The first release of a new major version is always a risky
proposition ... I plan to wait for the 5.2 or 5.3 release before rolling it into production,
and waiting long enough after the release to make sure that no big problems are reported by
users.  Minor Lucene/Solr releases happen on a very quick timeline, so I won't have to wait
very long.

The following info is available on the dev list, so I'm not giving away any secrets when I
tell you that the first release candidate for 5.0 has failed to pass the vote.  There will
be a new one soon that includes some additional bugfixes.  If all goes well with that candidate,
there should be a release announcement within a week of the new RC being cut.

Thanks,
Shawn