lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: How large is your solr index?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:37:20 GMT
On 1/8/2015 9:39 AM, Joseph Obernberger wrote:
> Yes - it would be 20GBytes of cache per 270GBytes of data.

That's not a lot of cache.  One rule of thumb is that you should have at
least 50% of the index size available as cache, with 100% being a lot
better.  The caching should happen on the Solr server itself so there
isn't a network bottleneck.  This is one of several reasons why local
storage on regular filesystems is preferred for Solr.

> We've tried lower Xmx but we get OOM errors during faceting of large
> datasets.  Right now we're running two JVMs per physical box (2 shards
> per box), but we're going to be changing that to on JVM and one shard
> per box.

This wiki page has some info on what can cause high heap requirements
and some general ideas for what you can do about it:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#Java_Heap

If you want to discuss your specific situation, we can use the list,
direct email, or the #solr IRC channel.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/IRCChannels

Thanks,
Shawn