lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Cario, Elaine" <Elaine.Ca...@wolterskluwer.com>
Subject RE: Does DocValues improve Grouping performance ?
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:10:36 GMT
Hi Shamik,

We use DocValues for grouping, and although I have nothing to compare it to (we started with
DocValues), we are also seeing similar poor results as you: easily 60% overhead compared to
non-group queries.  Looking around for some solution, no quick fix is presenting itself unfortunately.
 CollapsingQParserPlugin also is too limited for our needs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shamik Bandopadhyay [mailto:shamikb@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:02 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Does DocValues improve Grouping performance ?

Hi,

   Does use of DocValues provide any performance improvement for Grouping ?
I' looked into the blog which mentions improving Grouping performance through DocValues.

https://lucidworks.com/blog/fun-with-docvalues-in-solr-4-2/

Right now, Group by queries (which I can't sadly avoid) has become a huge bottleneck. It has
an overhead of 60-70% compared to the same query san group by. Unfortunately, I'm not able
to be CollapsingQParserPlugin as it doesn't have a support similar to "group.facet" feature.

My understanding on DocValues is that it's intended for faceting and sorting. Just wondering
if anyone have tried DocValues for Grouping and saw any improvements ?

-Thanks,
Shamik