lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Easiest way to embed solr in a desktop application
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 14:56:12 GMT
It’d certainly be easiest to just embed Jetty into your application.  You don’t need to
have Jetty as a separate process, you could launch it through it’s friendly Java API, configured
to use solr.war.

If all you needed was to make HTTP(-like) queries to Solr instead of the full admin UI, your
application could stick to using EmbeddedSolrServer and also provide a UI that takes in a
Solr query string (or builds one up) and then sends it to the embedded Solr and displays the
result.

	Erik

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 9:44 AM, Robert Krüger <krueger@lesspain.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> you are assuming correctly. It is a local, non-distributed index that is
> only accessed by the containing desktop application. Do you know if there
> is a possibility to run the Solr admin UI on top of an embedded instance
> somehow?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Robert
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Andrea Gazzarini <a.gazzarini@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>> I've used the EmbeddedSolrServer in a scenario like that and I never had
>> problems.
>> I assume you're talking about a standalone application, where the whole
>> index resides locally and you don't need any cluster / cloud / distributed
>> feature.
>>
>> I think the usage of EmbeddedSolrServer is discouraged in a (distributed)
>> service scenario, because it is a direct connection to a SolrCore
>> instance...but this is not a problem in the situation you described (as far
>> as I know)
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrea
>>

>> On 01/15/2015 03:10 PM, Robert Krüger wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been using an embedded instance of solr in my desktop application
>>> for a long time and it works fine. At the time when I made that decision
>>> (vs. firing up a solr web application within my swing application) I got
>>> the impression embedded use is somewhat unsupported and I should expect
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> My first question is, is this still the case now (4 years later), that
>>> embedded solr is discouraged?
>>>
>>> The one limitation I am running into is that I cannot use the solr admin
>>> UI
>>> for debugging purposes (mainly for running queries). Is there any other