lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shamik Bandopadhyay <sham...@gmail.com>
Subject Does DocValues improve Grouping performance ?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:02:05 GMT
Hi,

   Does use of DocValues provide any performance improvement for Grouping ?
I' looked into the blog which mentions improving Grouping performance
through DocValues.

https://lucidworks.com/blog/fun-with-docvalues-in-solr-4-2/

Right now, Group by queries (which I can't sadly avoid) has become a huge
bottleneck. It has an overhead of 60-70% compared to the same query san
group by. Unfortunately, I'm not able to be CollapsingQParserPlugin as it
doesn't have a support similar to "group.facet" feature.

My understanding on DocValues is that it's intended for faceting and
sorting. Just wondering if anyone have tried DocValues for Grouping and saw
any improvements ?

-Thanks,
Shamik