lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How large is your solr index?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2015 16:02:38 GMT
bq: For Solr 5 why don't we switch it to 64 bit ??

-1 on this for a couple of reasons
> it'd be pretty invasive, and 5.0 may be imminent. Far too big a change to implement at
the last second
> It's not clear that it's even useful. Once you get to that many documents, performance
usually suffers

Of course I wouldn't be doing the work so I really don't have much of
a vote, but it's not clear to me at
all that enough people would actually have a use-case for 2b+ docs in
a single shard to make it
worthwhile. At that scale GC potentially becomes really unpleasant for
instance....

FWIW,
Erick

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:45 AM, Toke Eskildsen <te@statsbiblioteket.dk> wrote:
> Bill Bell [billnbell@gmail.com] wrote:
>
> [solr maxdoc limit of 2b]
>
>> For Solr 5 why don't we switch it to 64 bit ??
>
> The biggest challenge for a switch is that Java's arrays can only hold 2b values. I support
the idea of switching to much larger minimums throughout the code. But it is a larger fix
than replacing int with long.