lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Julian Perry <ju...@limitless.co.uk>
Subject Correct connection methodology for Zookeeper/SolrCloud?
Date Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:51:22 GMT
Hi

I'm really after best practice guidelines for making queries to
an index on a Solr cluster.  I'm not calling from Java.

I have Solr 4.10.2 up and running, seems stable.

I have about 6 indexes/collections - am running SolrCloud with
two Solr instances (both currently running on the same dev. box -
just one shard each) and standalone Zookeeper with 3 instances.
All seems fine.  I can do queries against either instance, and
perform index updates and replication works fine.

I'm not using Java to talk to Solr - the web pages are built with
PHP (or something similar - happy to call zk/Solr from C).  So I
need to call Solr from the web page code.  Clearly I need
resilience and so don't want to specifically call one of the Solr
instances directly.

I could just set up a load balancer on the two Solr instances and
let client query requests use the load balancer to find a working
instance.

 From what I have read though - I am supposed to make a call to
zookeeper to ask which Solr instances are running up to date and
working replicas of the collection that I need.  Is that right?
I should do that every time I need to make a query?

There seems to be a zookeeper client library in the zk dist - in
zookeeper-3.4.6/src/c/ - can I use that?  It looks like I can
pass in a list of potential zk host:port pairs and it will find
a working zk for me - is that right?

Then I need to ask the working zk which solr instance I should
connect to for the given index/collection - how do I do that -
is that held in clusterstate.json?

So the steps to make a Solr query against my cluster would be:

a) call zk client library with list of zk host/ports

b) ask zk for clusterstate.json

c) pick an active server (at random) for the relevant collection
    (is there some load balancing option in there)

d) call the Solr server returned by (c)

Is that best practice - or am I missing something?

--
Cheers
Jules.