lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ian Rose <ianr...@fullstory.com>
Subject rough maximum cores (shards) per machine?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:02:54 GMT
Hi all -

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I was unable to find any
clear references online or in the mailing list.

Are there any rules of thumb for how many cores (aka shards, since I am
using SolrCloud) is "too many" for one machine?  I realize there is no one
answer (depends on size of the machine, etc.) so I'm just looking for a
rough idea.  Something like the following would be very useful:

* People commonly run up to X cores/shards on a mid-sized (4 or 8 core)
server without any problems.
* I have never heard of anyone successfully running X cores/shards on a
single machine, even if you throw a lot of hardware at it.

Thanks!
- Ian