lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr TCP layer
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:01:04 GMT
Just to pile on:

I admire your bravery! I'll add to the other comments only by saying
that _before_ you start down this path, you really need to articulate
the benefit/cost analysis. "to gain a little more communications
efficiency" will be a pretty hard sell due to the reasons Shawn
outlined. This is hugely risky and would require a lot of work for
as-yet-unarticulated benefits.

There are lots and lots of other things to work on of significantly
greater impact IMO. How would you like to work on something to help
manage Solr's memory usage for instance ;)?

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Reitzel, Charles
<Charles.Reitzel@tiaa-cref.org> wrote:
> A couple thoughts:
> 0. Interesting topic.
> 1. But perhaps better suited to the dev list.
> 2. Given the existing architecture, shouldn't we be looking to transport projects, e.g.
Jetty, Apache HttpComponents, for support of new socket or even HTTP layer protocols?
> 3. To the extent such support exists, then integration work is still needed at the solr
level.  Shalin, is this your intention?

> Also, for those of us not tracking protocol standards in detail, can you describe the
benefits to Solr users of http/2?

> Do you expect HTTP/2 to be transparent at the application layer?

client server communication next in Solr. There's a patch for SPDY support but now that spdy
is deprecated and http/2 is the new standard we need to wait for Jetty 9.3 to release. That
will take care of many bottlenecks in solrcloud communication. The current trunk is already
using jetty 9.2.x which has support for the draft http/2 spec.

> A brand new async TCP layer based on netty can be considered but that's a huge amount
of work considering our need to still support simple http, SSL etc. Frankly for me that effort
is better spent optimizing the routing layer.